domingo, 8 de junho de 2008

Dia 8: The Ghosts of Edinburgh!






I read an article at Speak Up Magazine nr. 252: “The Ghosts of Edinburgh”. It begins with that classic question: “Do you believe in Ghosts?”. Then it says that if the answer is no, probably Mary King’s Edinburgh Ghost Fest may change your mind.
Well, I must say it was interesting because when I lived in England – many years ago!, I had the opportunity to go to Scotland and learn about the historical dark side of Edinburgh, with tales about Mary King’s Close, Mercat Cross, Graverobbers, Cannibals, Plagues, The Great Fire, Witchcraft...
Many attractions presented today to the tourists didn't exist at the time I was in Edinburgh (or I didn’t pay attention to them!). However, I did enjoy the “tours” my scottish friends took me into... and all those paranormal and strange stories they told me!
People say that J K Rowling (an ex-resident of Edinburgh) found her inspiration there for the Harry Potter novels: castle ramparts, ghostly tales and that mysterious network of “closes” in the Old Town were surely the inspiration for Dragon-Ally!
What I know is that Edinburgh has been home to creepy characters for centuries! From the witches who were thrown from the Castle into the Norloch (now Princes Street Gardens) to Jekyll and Hyde (creations of Edinburgh writer Robert Louis Stevenson).
Perfect for me! Who loves these kind of things!





Nenhum comentário: